What is the basic cost of a Trip to the Galapagos?
This is the fundamental topic for many people wanting to visit the Galapagos Islands, especially those traveling on a tight budget.
There base cost for visiting the Galapagos Islands:
- Airfare. Flight tickets range from about $415 and up in the Low Season for a round trip from Guayaquil to the Galapagos. In the High Season tickets start at about $460 and go up. Prices will depend on which airline your are flying.
There are NO last minute flight deals for the Galapagos. Sometimes you can find flights special far in advance. But be aware that it is often more difficult to find a cruise to match your flight, and it is much easier the other way to find a flight around your cruise dates.
- Park Permit and INGALA card. The cost of these for foreigners are $100 for the park permit and $10 for your INGALA card.
- Lodging. Regardless of what you intend to do in the Galapagos when you arrive, you will most likely need a place to stay. The very most economical places start at about $16 per person in a shared room, and for couples you should expect to pay $30 and up.
- Food.Conservatively it will cost you about $10 to $15 dollars a day to eat. This would be eating on the cheap. Everything in the Galapagos is shipped there and will cost more than the mainland Ecuador prices.
- If you are planning on taking a cruise... #3 and #4 above will be included in your cruise days.
- If you are planning on taking day tours... the above will NOT be included. The only meal which maybe included will be lunch.
The best way to really experience the Galapagos is by taking a cruise, which will take you to places that land tours will not and involve both water activities and land excursions. The cruise prices start at about $150 per day and what is included will differ from ship to ship and class. See a basic list of what is included.
Land Day Tours.
The most economical land tours start at about $80 per day and there are more inclusive options with meals and lodging and multiple days for about $125 per day. Often land tours will visit destinations you could visit on your own.
Quick review math....
Flight = $415
Permits = $110
Sub Total = $525 this is to get to the Galapagos
Lodging for 4 days, 1 people = $65 (very basic)
Meals for 1 person 4 days = $60 (nothing fancy and no alcohol)
4 day Land Tour, 1 person = $320 (basic tour same island)
Sub Total = $445
4 day cruise, 1 person = $600 (includes cruise, tour, lodging and food. no alcohol)
In conclusion you can expect a price range from about $1000 - $1200 for the most economical of budgets.
The above scenerio is at the very basic level, and is assuming that you can find lodging at the prices used and you are traveling in the low season.
Spaces on flights, in hostels, and on cruises are limited.
Return to top of page